Attitudes toward YouTube

OneBarRouter

Rising User
Mar 4, 2016
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to rant a little bit, you know? So I recently made my YouTube channel, and to help get started, I snapchatted a bunch of my friends with a picture of my channel, saying "check me out". From all of my friends, I got a "stfu nerd", a "wtf is that you homo", and a picture of some guys face. People that I know aren't really nice when it comes to gamers / youtubers like myself. Idk.. what are your thoughts on the topic? Hve you gone through the same struggle?

Sincerely,
Router

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to rant a little bit, you know? So I recently made my YouTube channel, and to help get started, I snapchatted a bunch of my friends with a picture of my channel, saying "check me out". From all of my friends, I got a "stfu nerd", a "wtf is that you homo", and a picture of some guys face. People that I know aren't really nice when it comes to gamers / youtubers like myself. Idk.. what are your thoughts on the topic? Hve you gone through the same struggle?

Sincerely,
Router
If I got randomly solicited by someone to check out their channel, I'd not be so mean, but I certainly wouldn't be receptive in a positive way. Everyone wants their channel to get 'checked out'. If these are people you know, I also suggest getting new friends.

I can't blame them for not wanting to look at your channel (because no one likes shameless self promotion) but they also sound like jerks.

Zurhv

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Feb 6, 2016
YouTube
I have gone through the same situation at school too. I don't get called names or get made fun of by my friends it's just they annoy me about it and keep saying my intro or something like that. That's why I like to keep my YouTube personal and away from my friends because like I said they'll start embarassing me like one time in first period Math, my teacher was showing us a video on YouTube and when the video was over one of my friends said to go look for my channel but thankfully she didn't. I was in luck, so yea, I've had the same problem ;)

OneBarRouter

Rising User
Mar 4, 2016
If I got randomly solicited by someone to check out their channel, I'd not be so mean, but I certainly wouldn't be receptive in a positive way. Everyone wants their channel to get 'checked out'. If these are people you know, I also suggest getting new friends.

I can't blame them for not wanting to look at your channel (because no one likes shameless self promotion) but they also sound like jerks.
That's easy to say when you have 32k. These are people I know.
I have gone through the same situation at school too. I don't get called names or get made fun of by my friends it's just they annoy me about it and keep saying my intro or something like that. That's why I like to keep my YouTube personal and away from my friends because like I said they'll start embarassing me like one time in first period Math, my teacher was showing us a video on YouTube and when the video was over one of my friends said to go look for my channel but thankfully she didn't. I was in luck, so yea, I've had the same problem ;)
Yeah this is the exact same kind of stuff that I went through before I shut down my old channel. I feel you, I feel you. I'm going to try to keep this one undercover now.

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
That's easy to say when you have 32k. These are people I know.

Yeah this is the exact same kind of stuff that I went through before I shut down my old channel. I feel you, I feel you. I'm going to try to keep this one undercover now.
I too was once at your size, and was scraping at whatever views I could get, so don't tell me I have it easy. I worked to get where I am and continue to do so.

Your friends just sound like ass-hats.

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
Hello everyone,

Sincerely,
Router
I'd be weary of sending my channel to anybody. Especially people your own age, they won't always agree with everything you do. They weren't expecting it, granted you were excited about sharing your channel. Promotion should never be done by yourself if you just private message people, it doesn't always turn out well. Sorry you had a negative experience relating to that though.

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
Honestly I'd have to question the friends if they responded like that. I mean if they don't want to watch it that's one thing but saying things like that seems a bit uncalled for.

As for myself all my friends know about it. Heck the big reason I started was because one of my friends wanted me to do it. None of them really watch though but they definitely seem to respect the effort at the very least.

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
Most of my friends don't even know I have a youtube channel, the few that do know had to pry it out of me :p I think it's something that you have to be into to like. If someone doesn't really watch youtube channels, then they probably aren't really going to be much of a fan. Depends who you're friends are :D

JakeVegas

Respected User
Dec 16, 2015
Indiana, United States
YouTube
How old are you and your friends? Their responses sound childish. I appear to be the opposite from the majority here-- during casual conversation I always slip it in that I have a youtube channel. If someone genuinely seems interested then I'll explain it to them and show them some of a video. Everytime I upload a new video it goes directly on my Facebook. Very few of my friends are into gaming, but I throw the videos up anyway. Sometimes its the people you least expect on your "friend's" list who actually check out your content. I have had my channel for only 3 months and I have yet to be insulted for being a "You Tuber" by any friends or co-workers, some are even supportive and toss out ideas for my channel from time to time. From the sounds of it, you might need to re-evaluate your friends; hang around people who are supportive rather than destructive. I'd stick with it if you enjoy what you're doing. Best of luck to ya! (y) (Y)

OneBarRouter

Rising User
Mar 4, 2016
I too was once at your size, and was scraping at whatever views I could get, so don't tell me I have it easy. I worked to get where I am and continue to do so.

Your friends just sound like ass-hats.
Exactly. You promoted lol.

And not really, I just expected them to treat it more seriously.
How old are you and your friends? Their responses sound childish. I appear to be the opposite from the majority here-- during casual conversation I always slip it in that I have a youtube channel. If someone genuinely seems interested then I'll explain it to them and show them some of a video. Everytime I upload a new video it goes directly on my Facebook. Very few of my friends are into gaming, but I throw the videos up anyway. Sometimes its the people you least expect on your "friend's" list who actually check out your content. I have had my channel for only 3 months and I have yet to be insulted for being a "You Tuber" by any friends or co-workers, some are even supportive and toss out ideas for my channel from time to time. From the sounds of it, you might need to re-evaluate your friends; hang around people who are supportive rather than destructive. I'd stick with it if you enjoy what you're doing. Best of luck to ya! (y) (Y)
We are all 16-17.
I appreciate the support! :D
Honestly I'd have to question the friends if they responded like that. I mean if they don't want to watch it that's one thing but saying things like that seems a bit uncalled for.
Yeah, I completely agree with you.