Do You Think That Many People Online Are Total Fakes?

All Games Must Die

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
....or at least somewhat fake? I understand that it's hard to show our true or full selves to people since we don't know how people will react since we're sort of all strangers to each other in a lot of ways. However do you ever feel that there are many people online that have just total fake personas? You know what type of people I'm talking about. Just think about it for a moment. The opposite of genuine. I can't stand that stuff honestly. What I show people online is what my friends and family see as well. This is the same way that I speak, think and behave with them as well. The only difference is they obviously know me better than everyone online. So my question to you is this: What percentage of people online do you feel are "fake" in some way, shape or form? I know it's next to impossible to really know but what is your assumption on the matter from your personal experience with people you have met online, worked with, dated, followed, subscribed to, and other things like that? How often have people turned out to not be what they seemed in your experience?

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
I feel it's a very high percentage. Somewhere around 80-95%. Heck even my online persona is a bit fake as it's just a slightly exaggerated version of my regular personality.

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
A little place called Oblivion
YouTube
....or at least somewhat fake? I understand that it's hard to show our true or full selves to people since we don't know how people will react since we're sort of all strangers to each other in a lot of ways. However do you ever feel that there are many people online that have just total fake personas? You know what type of people I'm talking about. Just think about it for a moment. The opposite of genuine. I can't stand that stuff honestly. What I show people online is what my friends and family see as well. This is the same way that I speak, think and behave with them as well. The only difference is they obviously know me better than everyone online. So my question to you is this: What percentage of people online do you feel are "fake" in some way, shape or form? I know it's next to impossible to really know but what is your assumption on the matter from your personal experience with people you have met online, worked with, dated, followed, subscribed to, and other things like that? How often have people turned out to not be what they seemed in your experience?
a lot of people do try very hard to make themselves seem more interesting and knowledgeable whenever they get online. Heck, you have so many keyboard warriors and political experts that most likely get if not most, all of their sources from some junk they found online. The ability to sit behind a screen and project useless opinions on social media and forms is crippling our generation. Would I say many of them are fake? That's all a matter of opinion. Ignorant is more the correct descriptive word for it. It's all part of a downward spiral to dumb down the economy. The Internet has definitely become a toxic place to gather anymore.

Reactions: Thunderbolt

Mr Cotton

Nov 23, 2015
YouTube
Agreed, everyone has their own style for doing youtube and when it comes to entertainment you either have a natural take to it or you have to improvise

All Games Must Die

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I feel it's a very high percentage. Somewhere around 80-95%. Heck even my online persona is a bit fake as it's just a slightly exaggerated version of my regular personality.
I have to say I was surprised by the high numbers that people chose. I believe it personally to be around 75% which is sad but I think it's about right. I'm probably being a little generous. I am surprised that others seem to feel the same. I thought everyone would choose the smaller percentages.

All Games Must Die

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
a lot of people do try very hard to make themselves seem more interesting and knowledgeable whenever they get online. Heck, you have so many keyboard warriors and political experts that most likely get if not most, all of their sources from some junk they found online. The ability to sit behind a screen and project useless opinions on social media and forms is crippling our generation. Would I say many of them are fake? That's all a matter of opinion. Ignorant is more the correct descriptive word for it. It's all part of a downward spiral to dumb down the economy. The Internet has definitely become a toxic place to gather anymore.
Hmm, yeah the influence and power of the internet is highly debatable. Some believe it has made society better, some believe that it has made society worse than ever. I personally think that it's like any invention, it can be used for good or for evil as well as everything in between. I've been called an idealist and I probably am, so I would like to think that the internet has helped society more than hurt it but these are the types of things that are most clear after maybe a few decades of time. I do think without a doubt there is a lot of work to be done to clean up the internet and really I should say that there is a lot of work to be done to clean up people. It all starts with the innate human being. Their thoughts, their hearts and minds. Everything else follows behind it. Yes, what really needs to be cleaned up is the human psyche. I'm no saint but I do honestly believe that I'm a more considerate, sympathetic, altruistic and caring individual than most. I really do.

Reactions: Goped Fred

All Games Must Die

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Every person is fake on the youtube to a certain extent
Yeah it really depends on a persons definition of "fake" I suppose. I always try to be as genuine as possible but I do believe in taking my time in revealing my full self to people though I would never behave in a way that I don't agree with. At least I hope not from what I can recall.

All Games Must Die

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
Agreed, everyone has their own style for doing youtube and when it comes to entertainment you either have a natural take to it or you have to improvise
Well I think there is nothing wrong with sort of creating a character or persona as long as you believe in that character or persona I suppose. I personally can't even do that though, I just can't, it would show too easily. I rather just be my regular ol' self and people can either take it or leave it. Most in my life have chose the "leave it" option but I don't care. If they don't like me for who I am, I want nothing to do with them, simple as that really.

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
YouTube
Hmm, yeah the influence and power of the internet is highly debatable. Some believe it has made society better, some believe that it has made society worse than ever. I personally think that it's like any invention, it can be used for good or for evil as well as everything in between. I've been called an idealist and I probably am, so I would like to think that the internet has helped society more than hurt it but these are the types of things that are most clear after maybe a few decades of time. I do think without a doubt there is a lot of work to be done to clean up the internet and really I should say that there is a lot of work to be done to clean up people. It all starts with the innate human being. Their thoughts, their hearts and minds. Everything else follows behind it. Yes, what really needs to be cleaned up is the human psyche. I'm no saint but I do honestly believe that I'm a more considerate, sympathetic, altruistic and caring individual than most. I really do.
That's actually a big thing that inspired me to create a Youtube channel. I want to help and spread a positive influence over people. I like the fact of knowing I can preach love into somebody's heart and influence them did the better, if only when one person. One of the biggest problems with the Internet is you have information to do and see literally anything. You can find info on how to create household bombs, how to be recruited by ISIS, and generally, you'll find something negative(like a comment or hate mail) on just about anything online. It's just about all the media presses on, so with ask the negativity it's no surprise people act the way they do. It can definitely be used for great good or great evil, but I fear that evil has a stronger grasp on people's emotions in today's world. It's easier to hate someone than it is to put differences aside and love them through their faults. That's why I believe people like you and I are put in this world, to help restore the balance.

On another note, I'm liking the philosophical aura around this conversation.

Animal Corpse

Rising User
Feb 16, 2016
YouTube
I think people take advantage of the internet to be someone they're not or dream to be , internet will always be dangerous about that , still i do not blame the internet. Society nowadays judges easily the way people are and that creates an ilusion through what is wrong and right , i believe most of the fake personalities over the internet do it because they want to be acepted by others , it is a bad thing but i can't judge them completely , we are far from a society that can live acepting eachother as we are. Sometimes internet happens to be a door for these people to run away from theirselves , hopefully something positive comes out for some of them. :)

All Games Must Die

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
That's actually a big thing that inspired me to create a Youtube channel. I want to help and spread a positive influence over people. I like the fact of knowing I can preach love into somebody's heart and influence them did the better, if only when one person. One of the biggest problems with the Internet is you have information to do and see literally anything. You can find info on how to create household bombs, how to be recruited by ISIS, and generally, you'll find something negative(like a comment or hate mail) on just about anything online. It's just about all the media presses on, so with ask the negativity it's no surprise people act the way they do. It can definitely be used for great good or great evil, but I fear that evil has a stronger grasp on people's emotions in today's world. It's easier to hate someone than it is to put differences aside and love them through their faults. That's why I believe people like you and I are put in this world, to help restore the balance.

On another note, I'm liking the philosophical aura around this conversation.
Yes I truly agree with the idea that we as human beings can either choose to be forces for good, forces for evil or the types that probably most fall into, somewhere in the middle, just sort of living and fluctuating between the lines. I choose to be a force for good. I just feel that , that is the best for humanity in the long run. That being this way, what we call "good" will ensure the survival of our species and nature as a whole. Maybe this is getting way too deep but that's just how I feel. I choose to use this invention as a force for good and yes I think without people like us trying to hold up the giant waves of negativity that eventually if nobody stood up against those waves they would destroy us all. My plan is actually to use gaming as a backdrop in order to bring people into my universe, start up a conversation and then really let them know me and then start up true conversations like these. My YouTube channel I am hoping will be the gateway into much bigger projects actually. Right now I only have simple gaming videos there and am trying to build up a healthy base but once I truly have it, I plan on basically spreading more and more of these types of ideas out there onto the world. I also plan on using that recognition to let people know about future projects that will be more focused with helping people. Maybe one day if I became really successful, then I could use that success to start websites and programs to help others and even write books about it. Well as you can see I have many, many wild ideas and right now I am just at the very start of it but we all have to start somewhere. It's all about planting seeds.

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
YouTube
Yes I truly agree with the idea that we as human beings can either choose to be forces for good, forces for evil or the types that probably most fall into, somewhere in the middle, just sort of living and fluctuating between the lines. I choose to be a force for good. I just feel that , that is the best for humanity in the long run. That being this way, what we call "good" will ensure the survival of our species and nature as a whole. Maybe this is getting way too deep but that's just how I feel. I choose to use this invention as a force for good and yes I think without people like us trying to hold up the giant waves of negativity that eventually if nobody stood up against those waves they would destroy us all. My plan is actually to use gaming as a backdrop in order to bring people into my universe, start up a conversation and then really let them know me and then start up true conversations like these. My YouTube channel I am hoping will be the gateway into much bigger projects actually. Right now I only have simple gaming videos there and am trying to build up a healthy base but once I truly have it, I plan on basically spreading more and more of these types of ideas out there onto the world. I also plan on using that recognition to let people know about future projects that will be more focused with helping people. Maybe one day if I became really successful, then I could use that success to start websites and programs to help others and even write books about it. Well as you can see I have many, many wild ideas and right now I am just at the very start of it but we all have to start somewhere. It's all about planting seeds.
I love it, I honestly can say I have those very same intentions. If you ever need somebody to help you with a project or collaborate with, I'd be more than happy to help. I really think people enjoy seeing people come together for a cause of greater good, I'd definitely like to be a part of that.

All Games Must Die

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I think people take advantage of the internet to be someone they're not or dream to be , internet will always be dangerous about that , still i do not blame the internet. Society nowadays judges easily the way people are and that creates an ilusion through what is wrong and right , i believe most of the fake personalities over the internet do it because they want to be acepted by others , it is a bad thing but i can't judge them completely , we are far from a society that can live acepting eachother as we are. Sometimes internet happens to be a door for these people to run away from theirselves , hopefully something positive comes out for some of them. :)
Yes the problem all starts withing people themselves. They bring their fear, judgement, negativity, and even evil onto these different platforms like the internet. The good thing is that people that want to change all that can use these tools like the internet as well to go against all of that and push it in the other direction.

All Games Must Die

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I love it, I honestly can say I have those very same intentions. If you ever need somebody to help you with a project or collaborate with, I'd be more than happy to help. I really think people enjoy seeing people come together for a cause of greater good, I'd definitely like to be a part of that.
Cool, I think that's great, yeah I already subscribed and I liked how you handled the "controversial topic" video. You also gave me a good idea that in the future maybe people would be able to sit through topics like that if I had gaming running through the video instead of lets say, me just sitting in front of a camera talking about it like a vlog. It's a tricky thing, trying to keep people's attention especially during heavy topics. I think your way worked well.

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
YouTube
Cool, I think that's great, yeah I already subscribed and I liked how you handled the "controversial topic" video. You also gave me a good idea that in the future maybe people would be able to sit through topics like that if I had gaming running through the video instead of lets say, me just sitting in front of a camera talking about it like a vlog. It's a tricky thing, trying to keep people's attention especially during heavy topics. I think your way worked well.
Thank you! Yeah, I hope that I can bring people together through tricky topics like that through a common interest. I'd like to wait and see how it pans out once I've grown a bit

Reactions: All Games Must Die

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
From my own experience i would say at least 40%
Most of us have a dream of becoming something on the internet and most are shy to show their true self or use a other persona on purpose wich is fine in a way. I have met alot of people along my gaming career and now with youtube alot more and alot of people are not what i first thought they were. People tell great things and tell false stories because on the internet everything is possible. I prefer to stay neutral, i don't try to be someone else or make up a false persona. I am just me, and i have a hobby wich i like to do and don't see why i should be someone else on the internet for that.

All Games Must Die

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
From my own experience i would say at least 40%
Most of us have a dream of becoming something on the internet and most are shy to show their true self or use a other persona on purpose wich is fine in a way. I have met alot of people along my gaming career and now with youtube alot more and alot of people are not what i first thought they were. People tell great things and tell false stories because on the internet everything is possible. I prefer to stay neutral, i don't try to be someone else or make up a false persona. I am just me, and i have a hobby wich i like to do and don't see why i should be someone else on the internet for that.
Yeah the internet is like the wild west, anything goes here and people can easily be led in the wrong direction if they are not careful. I just try to be myself and hope that clicks with people.