Is this Legal?

SiliciaGaming

Anime Let's Player
Freedom! Member
Sep 25, 2015
Philippines
YouTube
SiliciaGaming
I don't know what thread should I post this so better put it here...

Recently I've been wondering...
I rarely saw some Youtuber playing using an emulated game.
Such as PPSSPP,Snes9X or etc.

So my question goes, is it legal to play emulated games,record them and upload it to YouTube Monetized?
I was thinking playing some Retro Games like Yoshi's Island or Chrono Trigger.

So is it Legal?

Nerd

Apr 22, 2014
Lithuania
YouTube
ConfusedNerdTV
I don't know what thread should I post this so better put it here...

Recently I've been wondering...
I rarely saw some Youtuber playing using an emulated game.
Such as PPSSPP,Snes9X or etc.

So my question goes, is it legal to play emulated games,record them and upload it to YouTube Monetized?
I was thinking playing some Retro Games like Yoshi's Island or Chrono Trigger.

So is it Legal?
Emulating games is illegal as far as I know because you are technically have not bought neither the game nor the console to play it, so its illegal in more than one way. Allso game publishers are highly against it.

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
Emulators and ROMs are legal under specific circumstances. If you own the console and the game, you can make a back up of your own games, however if you get rid of the game, the copy then becomes illegal.

It is also illegal to download a ROM, even if you have the original game cartridge, it is only legal to make a copy of your own game.

Reactions: Kooky

SiliciaGaming

Anime Let's Player
Freedom! Member
Sep 25, 2015
Philippines
YouTube
SiliciaGaming
Emulating games is illegal as far as I know because you are technically have not bought neither the game nor the console to play it, so its illegal in more than one way. Allso game publishers are highly against it.

What if I have an Original Game disc. Such as God of War 2 on PS2, But I don't own a PS2 and I played the game through an emulator is that counts as Illegal or legal?

SiliciaGaming

Anime Let's Player
Freedom! Member
Sep 25, 2015
Philippines
YouTube
SiliciaGaming
That is illegal, as you don't have the hardware, also you can not download the game just because you have the disc, you would need to backup your own disk and not download one.

Well atleast you guys warned me...
But another question!
Same situation, but instead of uploading the video to youtube I live stream the game. Is that a no-go?

Mike Venezia

Freedom! Talent Agent
Freedom! Member
Jul 3, 2014
Syracuse, NY
YouTube
Same thing, but the real question is what game is it? This is an awkward situation. Most publishers don't care how you obtained the game honestly, the only problem they have with let's plays is, well, people playing their game.

Honestly, if you don't say it's emulated, then no one will really care about that. The real legal issue comes from publishers like Nintendo who don't like anyone making monetized videos of their games.

Whether you purchased it or downloaded a rom of it (technically everything AA-AAA tilte that Steam put out as a free promotion is a rom) the publisher only looks at whether or not they want their game played on YouTube at all.

Your best bet is to just check and see if the publisher has YouTube restrictions directly. HOpe that helps.[DOUBLEPOST=1445604291][/DOUBLEPOST]Also just to put it out there: I don't advocate illegal activity. haha. Just use your best judgment. I'm just letting you know what these publishers are REALLY looking for when they flag people.[DOUBLEPOST=1445605472][/DOUBLEPOST]If you're having trouble finding new games to play - Freedom! has your back.

Last edited:

SiliciaGaming

Anime Let's Player
Freedom! Member
Sep 25, 2015
Philippines
YouTube
SiliciaGaming
Doing it in the privacy of your own home with no one else knowing is still illegal, broadcasting it doesn't change anything :)

Thank you for answering that :D
Finally I've been warned.[DOUBLEPOST=1445606171][/DOUBLEPOST]
Same thing, but the real question is what game is it? This is an awkward situation. Most publishers don't care how you obtained the game honestly, the only problem they have with let's plays is, well, people playing their game.

Honestly, if you don't say it's emulated, then no one will really care about that. The real legal issue comes from publishers like Nintendo who don't like anyone making monetized videos of their games.

Whether you purchased it or downloaded a rom of it (technically everything AA-AAA tilte that Steam put out as a free promotion is a rom) the publisher only looks at whether or not they want their game played on YouTube at all.

Your best bet is to just check and see if the publisher has YouTube restrictions directly. HOpe that helps.[DOUBLEPOST=1445604291][/DOUBLEPOST]Also just to put it out there: I don't advocate illegal activity. haha. Just use your best judgment. I'm just letting you know what these publishers are REALLY looking for when they flag people.[DOUBLEPOST=1445605472][/DOUBLEPOST]If you're having trouble finding new games to play - Freedom! has your back.

Thank you this helps a lot not only me but others that are curious :D

Reactions: Fourth Wall Games

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I am going to say, if you can't tell you are using an emulator .. then don't worry about it. As @Mike Venezia has pointed out, it's not really what they would be looking for anyway.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Something I should mention that I did not before. Personally, I would not do it, and the reason for that is because while I don't think you really need to worry about it, I wouldn't take the chance. That very small chance that you do happen to get caught could mean the end of your channel. So you need to ask yourself, are you willing to risk that?

Also, that chance continually exists as long as the video remains on the channel. So you could make a video of an emulated game, become a fairly successful youtuber years down the road and end up with problems due to that video. It's much worse than simply uploading copyrighted content, because in most cases you will be asked to take it down, however in the case of pirating, not sure what the policy is but ... well ... it's possible your channel could be shut down instantly.

SiliciaGaming

Anime Let's Player
Freedom! Member
Sep 25, 2015
Philippines
YouTube
SiliciaGaming
Something I should mention that I did not before. Personally, I would not do it, and the reason for that is because while I don't think you really need to worry about it, I wouldn't take the chance. That very small chance that you do happen to get caught could mean the end of your channel. So you need to ask yourself, are you willing to risk that?

Also, that chance continually exists as long as the video remains on the channel. So you could make a video of an emulated game, become a fairly successful youtuber years down the road and end up with problems due to that video. It's much worse than simply uploading copyrighted content, because in most cases you will be asked to take it down, however in the case of pirating, not sure what the policy is but ... well ... it's possible your channel could be shut down instantly.

It's really hard to risk all of that hard work...I would be heart broken if my videos are flagged and my partnership is removed...Good thing I ask here for opinions.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
It's really hard to risk all of that hard work...I would be heart broken if my videos are flagged and my partnership is removed...Good thing I ask here for opinions.

Ya, that is the way I think about it. Even if it's unlikely to happen, I would be devastated if it did. So I take the safe approach of just not doing it.

Chris

Filipino Let's Player <Astig>
Freedom! Member
Jan 3, 2014
www.gamerfuzion.com
YouTube
You should start buying PS1 and PS2 console to record console games. Right now a PS1 console with 1 controler, Component Cable and Power Adapter cost $20. And as for PS2 that will cost you $60 though.I bought mine in a local game store. Not in GameStop though, because they are really expensive.

SiliciaGaming

Anime Let's Player
Freedom! Member
Sep 25, 2015
Philippines
YouTube
SiliciaGaming
You should start buying PS1 and PS2 console to record console games. Right now a PS1 console with 1 controler, Component Cable and Power Adapter cost $20. And as for PS2 that will cost you $60 though.I bought mine in a local game store. Not in GameStop though, because they are really expensive.

Cool! If I have money though...I'm sticking to Free Games just to be safe.