PC Help!

Alpine

Web Designer
Freedom! Member
Jul 24, 2014
Scotland
YouTube
So I'm installing a new Hard Drive in my pc (My old one broke). I have it set up and everything I just need to install windows on it. When i turn my PC on I get the following message:

Code:
ALOT OF "RANDOM TEXT" (Usually always there before OS boots up.)

Verifying DMI Pool Data...................
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

The problem here is my keyboard won't work. When I press enter nothing happens ,Yes it is plugged in. Even the lights on the keyboard light up. I can't even press F12 to start the windows install (from USB).

I have a USB keyboard.

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube
So I'm installing a new Hard Drive in my pc (My old one broke). I have it set up and everything I just need to install windows on it. When i turn my PC on I get the following message:

Code:

The problem here is my keyboard won't work. When I press enter nothing happens ,Yes it is plugged in. Even the lights on the keyboard light up. I can't even press F12 to start the windows install (from USB).

I have a USB keyboard.
I guess the first thing I would ask is - are you sure the hard drive is connected securely? Might want to check the connections and also make sure it has a power cable connected to it as well.

Alpine

Web Designer
Freedom! Member
Jul 24, 2014
Scotland
YouTube
I guess the first thing I would ask is - are you sure the hard drive is connected securely? Might want to check the connections and also make sure it has a power cable connected to it as well.
Yes it's connected up and everything. I have my pc on and can feel it actually working.

Neal

Mod
Freedom! Member
Jan 5, 2014
Illinois
YouTube
nealcarico
This means it doesn't recognize the hard drive.. Try checking your BIOS menu and see if it's picking it up there (you should see a name or something in the "Boot menu" or something like that.)

If not then the connection is indeed bad. Try a different cable.

EDIT :

Wait, it might actually be because your USB is not a bootable drive. Try using a friends computer to fix this. Just having the ISO on the USB is not enough to boot from it. Use YouTube to find the remedy for your problem. Worst case scenario, find a CD or something from a friend to boot it.

Last edited:

Alpine

Web Designer
Freedom! Member
Jul 24, 2014
Scotland
YouTube
This means it doesn't recognize the hard drive.. Try checking your BIOS menu and see if it's picking it up there (you should see a name or something in the "Boot menu" or something like that.)

If not then the connection is indeed bad. Try a different cable.

EDIT :

Wait, it might actually be because your USB is not a bootable drive. Try using a friends computer to fix this. Just having the ISO on the USB is not enough to boot from it. Use YouTube to find the remedy for your problem. Worst case scenario, find a CD or something from a friend to boot it.
Wait I'm confused.

Firstly I can't get to the BIOS menu as the keyboard won't work, I have tried 2 different ones (both working) but doens't do anything.
Secondly I'm trying to install the OS from the USB not boot from it.

Neal

Mod
Freedom! Member
Jan 5, 2014
Illinois
YouTube
nealcarico
Wait I'm confused.

Firstly I can't get to the BIOS menu as the keyboard won't work, I have tried 2 different ones (both working) but doens't do anything.
Secondly I'm trying to install the OS from the USB not boot from it.
I understand but it still has to be "bootable". Poor term, means something different. I assume you're using Windows. Example video (not mine) - here

ZacsCustom

Technologist, Future Gamer! ~ Zac's Custom
Freedom! Member
Aug 17, 2015
YouTube
ZacsCustom

Code:

I have a USB keyboard.
Sounds like the ISO wasn't burned correctly to the USB Drive, you may have to use Microsoft's Win 7 USB Tool to reburn it so that your PC May recognize it.

Other than that, it sounds like you have USB Devices turned off for a Fast Boot Feature for Windows 8? I believe windows 7 doesn't enable that feature, but even still It may be enabled by default which would prevent you from jumping into the bios during boot.

The only way I know of getting into the bios is a hard reset, which would trick your motherboard into booting into the bios instead of searching for a drive to boot off of.

Best of luck!

~Zac's Custom

Alpine

Web Designer
Freedom! Member
Jul 24, 2014
Scotland
YouTube
What I think it is, is that because my motherboard is pretty old (saving up for a new one but £450 D;) my BIOS menu only reads PS2 keyboards and not usb.

KJL

Rising User
Oct 26, 2015
When you say the keyboard won't work, do you mean it has no power during the boot time to access the bios? Because that usually means the USB devices have been disabled during the start up to essentially 'fast boot'.

Alpine

Web Designer
Freedom! Member
Jul 24, 2014
Scotland
YouTube
When you say the keyboard won't work, do you mean it has no power during the boot time to access the bios? Because that usually means the USB devices have been disabled during the start up to essentially 'fast boot'.
Nah its getting power. My keyboard even lights up.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I am guessing using usb during boot simply isn't on or your motherboard isn't compatible with it. Though that would mean it would have to be a pretty dang old motherboard.

KJL

Rising User
Oct 26, 2015
Nah its getting power. My keyboard even lights up.

Mine went through a phase of not being powered during boot until login. It was infuriating for BIOS access but then I realised MSI fast boot was the cause of it :p[DOUBLEPOST=1447979110][/DOUBLEPOST]
I am guessing using usb during boot simply isn't on or your motherboard isn't compatible with it. Though that would mean it would have to be a pretty dang old motherboard.

That is definitely not the case, she probably has a newish motherboard. Specific settings can disable USB devices during boot up.

Alpine

Web Designer
Freedom! Member
Jul 24, 2014
Scotland
YouTube
Mine went through a phase of not being powered during boot until login. It was infuriating for BIOS access but then I realised MSI fast boot was the cause of it :p[DOUBLEPOST=1447979110][/DOUBLEPOST]

That is definitely not the case, she probably has a newish motherboard. Specific settings can disable USB devices during boot up.
SHE?!??!?!?! XD I'm a dude. (Thats Avril Lavigne one my profile <3)

I have booted from USB before. Thats not the issue here its the BIOS. I am getting a windows 7 cd from a friend tomorrow(today for me) so fingers crossed this works :D

KJL

Rising User
Oct 26, 2015
SHE?!??!?!?! XD I'm a dude. (Thats Avril Lavigne one my profile <3)

I have booted from USB before. Thats not the issue here its the BIOS. I am getting a windows 7 cd from a friend tomorrow(today for me) so fingers crossed this works :D
Haha had a moment there and didn't really look at the picture carefully lol. I wasn't on about booting from a USB XD

Reactions: Alpine

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
Ya, I wasn't expecting it to be the case, cause as I said .. it would have to be a pretty old motherboard lol. That may even be an understatement ... more like ancient lol.