So Freedom Was Hacked?

RedRobins.UK

Respected User
Freedom! Member
i don't know if you guys saw but last night (in my timezone) the forums had been changed to a message by the group #ourmine#. basically they are a group that has been hitting youtubers and networks for like the past month or so. i'd just like confirmation from an admin or staff that no personal data was stolen or anything. just to be clear on that topic.

Crazylawrence

The Crazy Boi
Freedom! Member
Feb 10, 2016
Lowestoft
LawrenceGilder
Firstly, this was only based on the forums and not freedom.tm.
Secondly, officially stated by Anthony:
"OurMine got nothing because we're running an updated version of HTTPS"

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
I've been in a conversation with the Forum team and staff regarding this. Yes, the forums were hacked from a compromised staff account and there *may* be a password reset but I don't know more.

Slade Wilson

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 8, 2014
YouTube
DopeVulcan
i don't know if you guys saw but last night (in my timezone) the forums had been changed to a message by the group #ourmine#. basically they are a group that has been hitting youtubers and networks for like the past month or so. i'd just like confirmation from an admin or staff that no personal data was stolen or anything. just to be clear on that topic.

yeah I tried logging in with my google account and was then notified of a login from saudi arabia...

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
Quick info to everyone here:

Your other accounts were not directly affected here. If you're using Google, Facebook, Twitter,... to log in, the account is safe thanks to the way OAuth works. Though your account may have been affected if you logged in within about one and a half hours before the front page was changed, though I hardly believe more than five people were online at that time.

Here's some good practices:
  • Change passwords regularly
  • Use 2FA on as many accounts as possible
  • Look on your browser's URL bar when logging in to ensure the entire page is protected by a security certificate
  • Use a password that is as long as possible, that uses as many special characters as possible and that you can't remember. Using password managers (1Password, LastPass,...) is fine too as these are secure.
  • Don't use the same password on every site.

Again, if you are logging in with Twitter, Facebook or Google no password is shared so you're safe if you use passwords based on the above criteria.