What is your least favorite part about making videos?

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
I hate the rendering stage. For some videos, it's fine, because they are short. But it takes 1.5 hours to render a 30 minute video. If you must know, I edit my videos with Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum, and I usually have 5 tracks used, two video for the game and my face, and three audio for the game sound, my voice, and outro music.

It just seems kind of ridiculous how long it takes. And sometimes, random games will take a different amount of time to render than others of the same length, and some short videos take longer than some longer videos. But I'll have to suffer through it if I want to continue making videos. That's where watching videos come in handy, except when the rendering slows down the internet.

Aussie Chan

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 1, 2016
Australia
YouTube
_Aussie_Chan_
I have to agree with you, definitely. Rendering is such a pain, my laptop has a 1.8 Ghz 4x core processor, 4gb of DDR3 RAM and a very crumby graphics card (I'm not sure about the specs) but for my average video it takes around 2 hours just to render. I learnt something very useful while browsing the internet though, I render all my large videos in handbrake before editing with camtasia studio which really does lower rendering time to about an hour.

Rendering is such a pain if you don't have a good enough PC for it. Especially when I record gameplay, a simple 10 minute raw video is 300~ mb.
I can only record with the in built windows 10 recorder or other programs like obs take up too many system resources.

-Aussie Chan

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
I have to agree with you, definitely. Rendering is such a pain, my laptop has a 1.8 Ghz 4x core processor, 4gb of DDR3 RAM and a very crumby graphics card (I'm not sure about the specs) but for my average video it takes around 2 hours just to render. I learnt something very useful while browsing the internet though, I render all my large videos in handbrake before editing with camtasia studio which really does lower rendering time to about an hour.

Rendering is such a pain if you don't have a good enough PC for it. Especially when I record gameplay, a simple 10 minute raw video is 300~ mb.
I can only record with the in built windows 10 recorder or other programs like obs take up too many system resources.

-Aussie Chan
Windows 10 has a built in recorder? I didn't know that. I've been using Bandicam for the past two years, and it's been doing swimmingly.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
Definitely rendering, or constantly having to think of new videos to do. Being a gaming channel myself you would think thats easy, but it really isn't - don't know if thats just me or someone else shares that opinion. But yeah those are the two least favourite parts about making videos

Aussie Chan

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 1, 2016
Australia
YouTube
_Aussie_Chan_
@zeke morgan I know what you mean, It's very hard coming up with video ideas, especially when you're forcing yourself to.

A lot of the time I get ideas either from school or when I'm most relaxed like on the toilet or taking a shower I usually forget or have no idea how I'm going to make it and usually just scrap the entire idea or save it in my HDD and forget about it.

-Aussie Chan

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
@zeke morgan I know what you mean, It's very hard coming up with video ideas, especially when you're forcing yourself to.

A lot of the time I get ideas either from school or when I'm most relaxed like on the toilet or taking a shower I usually forget or have no idea how I'm going to make it and usually just scrap the entire idea or save it in my HDD and forget about it.

-Aussie Chan
Normally I have a great idea of a series or something to do that I think viewers will like and then forget about it, or I start making the video and got past the point I wanted and have forgotten to record it (done that a couple of times if im honest ). Oh and I just thought another slight thing i dislike trying to work out when / in what order to upload videos - Do you upload a full series of something over a few weeks or mix this up with other videos

Aussie Chan

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 1, 2016
Australia
YouTube
_Aussie_Chan_
Do you upload a full series of something over a few weeks or mix this up with other videos
I try to upload a series every week but school has just been destroying my free time, I'll try to actually stick to the schedule I created or maybe pre-record most of my videos over the weekends and just schedule them for a later time. I'm really unsure right now but I'll try and figure something out.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
I hate the rendering stage. For some videos, it's fine, because they are short. But it takes 1.5 hours to render a 30 minute video. If you must know, I edit my videos with Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum, and I usually have 5 tracks used, two video for the game and my face, and three audio for the game sound, my voice, and outro music.

It just seems kind of ridiculous how long it takes. And sometimes, random games will take a different amount of time to render than others of the same length, and some short videos take longer than some longer videos. But I'll have to suffer through it if I want to continue making videos. That's where watching videos come in handy, except when the rendering slows down the internet.
Syncing everything is a pain in the butt... but the worst is rendering like you say. Sometimes mine even crashes near the end of hours of rendering....

Rendering me a bad attitude...

gunsage

Freedom! Member
Honestly, the worst for me is when I've made a recording mistake. There are two that are especially bad I've had to contend with recently. The first started occurring when Shadowplay (now share) would no longer work on my PC, so I had to switch to OBS. No problem, right? Wrong. My Layers of Fear vid was choppy as hell and I had no idea until after I had already edited and uploaded it (d'oh). Even once I got all the bugs worked out of the settings, well, there was an update for OBS. No problem...right? Ehhhh, wrong.

Unfortunately, now some games won't record at all in full screen and nobody seems to have a solid answer in the OBS forums. An update may be in the works for that, but I have no idea. So there will be times I go to record, forgot to check, and whaddaya know...black screen. The second problem is when either my mic isn't plugged in or it's in the wrong port or for whatever strange reason OBS just decided, you know, for fun, not to record any audio. Ecch.

And it's not really an OBS problem, per se, as much as it is a me problem, because I know I should be doing tests before I officially get started with the recording, but some days I don't have a lot of time (I do this super early so I can get in a workout while it's processing before my kids wake up and I have to take them to the bus stop), so it often slips my mind. Still, for the most part, I enjoy the entire process start to finish.

gunsage

Freedom! Member
I hate it when I have this really good idea for a video but have absolutely no way to execute it.
I usually have that when I'm writing or doing game development. The best thing to do is have somewhere where you put a list of a bunch of little ideas you have and come back to it later. The only tricky part with that is if it's something that's time sensitive. For example, you could make a video making fun of ice bucket challenges or Pokemon Go now, but it might not get as many views as when they were initially popular. However, if it's something that doesn't matter, such as a random idea like a cat barking or something like that, then it's a matter of simply writing it down and coming back to it when you either have the resources to make it or have found a workaround for it.

Sujan

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 25, 2016
Nepal
YouTube
sujan869
Windows 10 has a built in recorder? I didn't know that. I've been using Bandicam for the past two years, and it's been doing swimmingly.

Yap, it has. Acutally this feature given by Xbox of win 10. I think first you need to login on xbox in win 10 even u dont have xbox console. After that you can use it on ur pc. win+G for opening Game Bar. From that you can learn all shortcut button to record game, voice, etc.

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
I hate it when I have this really good idea for a video but have absolutely no way to execute it.
I hate that too. An idea I had was to make the Season 1 finale of Happy Wheels be sort of like a short film with voice acting, and I planned on just animating PNG images of the characters. I wanted to have Irresponsible Dad want to quit Happy Wheels and find a new job. But I couldn't even make beginning credits, some of the images of the Happy Wheels characters didn't have the transparent background, I didn't know how to make PNG images with no background, and I just lost all my motivation.

So now, I just make them "special" episodes. The season 1 finale had me playing games from the main page, and for season 2, I recorded my face, which I never do for Happy Wheels. Season 3, once I start it, might possibly end with me singing throughout the final episode... or whispering. I dunno.

KuyasKorner

Rising User
Feb 2, 2016
YouTube
For me the worst part is when I forgot to switch on one piece of equipment then wasted 20-30min of recording. Once I forgot to hit record for the mic and a few times I forget to hit record on my face came. Don't have a high performance laptop and the built in webcam is quite bad so I use a separate camera that I already had.