Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkmage4

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Feb 20, 2015
darkmage4.com
YouTube
What does this mean for small Content creators?

Is it true everyone who uploads and has their videos monetized are FORCED to pay for this subscription service even if you don't want it?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/21/youtube-red-google-ad-free-video-subscription/

As for everyone else making content on YouTube, the rumors of forced participation in the subscription service are true. YouTube executives confirmed that if you publish videos to YouTube and support them with advertising, you must also take part in the YouTube subscription service. If you don't, your videos will be marked private and thus no one will be able to find them.

What happens now? Is this just a rumor to scare people into paying for this service?

I see it involves Google Play as well. I have never, and will never use it in the first place for Music. The only thing I have on there is all my music I uploaded awhile ago for the Cloud service, so that I can transfer all my music from my old computer to my new one, and back onto my iPod.

Is George making a video explaining what this means for us smaller channels?

Thanks!

Darkmage4

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Feb 20, 2015
darkmage4.com
YouTube
Maybe for the traditional 'Youtube' service. If you haven't checked out yet, check your channel via Youtube Gaming, your content is there as well and I think Ad plays are played there as well, as far as I think. If they'll make Youtube Gaming's videos private as well for creators then.. balls.

Another Update. You should read this instead. Search for 'Zombie apocalypse' and just below that, read that.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34596219

Example

One more thing, I think it's limited in the US at first?
https://www.youtube.com/red
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6307365?authuser=2&hl=en&rd=1

It is yes, but for the US it starts October 28th, that's just 7 days. (I'm in the US.)

I understand it helps the creators, but I'm not gonna want to do this since I don't have any money at all. I just got a job too, so that will limit my viewing anyways, and it will also limit my uploads as well. Unless I work on my off days of work, like non stop to get content going for the days I go to work. :p

Upvote 0

William Chamberlain

Head of Ad Sales
Freedom! Member
Nov 28, 2014
United Kingdom
google.com
YouTube
What I think is, this does not mean content creators need to subscribe to YouTube Red. What I believe is being conveyed is that when YouTube Red is released there will probably be a new set of Terms and Conditions to agree to, and when you monetize you will be asked if you comply with the subscription service. You must comply if you want to continue monetizing your videos, this isn't too much of a big deal for creators as it might seem. A lot fewer people will be using this service than you think, and even if a lot of your audience use it you should be well compensated financially.

However if this does mean a $9.99 per month charge to upload public videos... then this is not good news.

Upvote 0

Darkmage4

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Feb 20, 2015
darkmage4.com
YouTube
What I think is, this does not mean content creators need to subscribe to YouTube Red. What I believe is being conveyed is that when YouTube Red is released there will probably be a new set of Terms and Conditions to agree to, and when you monetize you will be asked if you comply with the subscription service. You must comply if you want to continue monetizing your videos, this isn't too much of a big deal for creators as it might seem. A lot fewer people will be using this service than you think, and even if a lot of your audience use it you should be well compensated financially.

However if this does mean a $9.99 per month charge to upload public videos... then this is not good news.

I only have a few subs that watch my content (Graphics card died, so can't really do much until I get a new one) and I get a few stragglers that come by, dislike my video, comment spam, and leave. So there is that.

But I hear they're trying to compete with Twitch. I understand that. But their competitive could hurt the vast majority of their creators, that don't make enough money as it is. Most articles are talking about the ones with 1 million subscribers or more on how this will help them earn more money. Everyone looks over the little guys when it comes to this.

I don't want to have to pay 10 dollars per person if that is what we would have to do. I watch maybe 5 people at the most. Plus friends of mine who upload once in awhile.

What I am wondering is what about Partnership programs like Freedom! and the many others out there that use the ad service for their partnered creators. We will see less ad revenue. Less money will go to Freedom! Thus slowly killing off partnership programs.

I will stick with Freedom! to the end. I enjoy the service, and the programs associated with Freedom!

I hope that in the end It will just end up like Twitch Turbo, content creators can still have ads on their videos, but with YTR users, they wont have to see ads of course.

I will gladly support creators by viewing ads. It never bothered me. Only ads that ever bothered me were on Facebook, and it's cluster of ads. Otherwise, ads never bothered me appearing before, after, or during a video.

Reactions: TheAimGames
Upvote 0

Thereepershadow

Freedom! Member
from the looks of it its similar to twitch with the way twitch turbo works. its optional. but you just wont see sertan shows and videos if the creators put it behind the pay wall

there will still be the normal ad based youtube that we all know but this youtube red will be an extra option for those that can afford the extra payout everymonth

Upvote 0

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
I only have a few subs that watch my content (Graphics card died, so can't really do much until I get a new one) and I get a few stragglers that come by, dislike my video, comment spam, and leave. So there is that.

But I hear they're trying to compete with Twitch. I understand that. But their competitive could hurt the vast majority of their creators, that don't make enough money as it is. Most articles are talking about the ones with 1 million subscribers or more on how this will help them earn more money. Everyone looks over the little guys when it comes to this.

I don't want to have to pay 10 dollars per person if that is what we would have to do. I watch maybe 5 people at the most. Plus friends of mine who upload once in awhile.

What I am wondering is what about Partnership programs like Freedom! and the many others out there that use the ad service for their partnered creators. We will see less ad revenue. Less money will go to Freedom! Thus slowly killing off partnership programs.

I will stick with Freedom! to the end. I enjoy the service, and the programs associated with Freedom!

I hope that in the end It will just end up like Twitch Turbo, content creators can still have ads on their videos, but with YTR users, they wont have to see ads of course.

I will gladly support creators by viewing ads. It never bothered me. Only ads that ever bothered me were on Facebook, and it's cluster of ads. Otherwise, ads never bothered me appearing before, after, or during a video.

It sounds like you can still view youtube as normal (if you are happy with watching ads). However if you don't want to watch ads you can pay $10 and you can watch as many videos and channels as you like ad free. This will actually generate a lot more money for youtube if people actually sign up, $10 is equal to around 5000 video views and I doubt many people watch that many videos per month. This should mean more money to content creators although it depends how much Youtube decide to send onto us.

I have a feeling that adblock will no longer work on youtube once this goes through, which is also a good thing for content creators :)

Edit: words

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AverageRageGamer

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2015
YouTube
It sounds like you can still view youtube as normal (if you are happy with watching ads). However if you don't want to watch ads you can pay $10 and you can watch as many videos and channels as you like ad free. This will actually generate a lot more money for youtube if people actually sign up, $10 is equal to around 5000 video views and I doubt many people watch that many videos per month. This should mean more money to content creators although it depends how much Youtube decide to send onto us.

I have a feeling that adblock will no longer work on youtube once this goes through, which is also a god thing for content creators :)

This is the dream scenario. But this can't all be true. It's too easy, and too good. But man does it feel good to read it over a few times.

Upvote 0

MisterUltimate

Freedom! Member
In case anyone still has questions, they published a YouTube Red FAQ.

The important things are that [1] you can still monetize as you normally would, [2] no matter where you or your MCN is based your videos will be included as long as they are available for viewing in the US, and [3] revenue from YouTube Red is based on the percentage of total watch time that Red subscribers spend viewing your videos.

Upvote 0

8-Bit-Relic

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Dec 17, 2014
Ireland
YouTube
Well, if you have to pay before being able to earn money would mean that less people would try it. It is just this mental blockade which might cost Youtube some future talents. There are also some movie channels which are just producing one feature a year who would then to have to pay.

However, Dailymotion seems to have reacted and is offering new monetizing options. If they are improving their servers and will keep their excellent customer service Youtube will get a hard time

Upvote 0

Robin “Williams” Muscato

My Youtube Channel
Freedom! Member
May 31, 2015
YouTube

I have a feeling that adblock will no longer work on youtube once this goes through, which is also a good thing for content creators :)

Edit: words
i was thinking the same thing with adblock.

Upvote 0

8-Bit-Relic

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Dec 17, 2014
Ireland
YouTube
Adblock is already hurting Youtube. I don`t think that the subscription service would consider them to change their long term strategy against Adblock. However, I hope that they do.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.